I don’t have time to write a proper post, but here are some quick notes on last night’s performance by the man Lou Piniella used to call “Rawl EYE-buh-nez”.
- His 2-homer game carried the 5th-highest Win Probability Added in playoff history.
- It was the 2nd-highest WPA by a non-starter (behind you-know-who)
- It was only the 5th playoff game in history where a non-starter had 2 extra-base hits. He’s the only guy to have both be homers. Amazingly, also yesterday was the 4th such game, a few hours beforehand, when Joaquin Arias came in as a sub and hit two doubles.
- Ibanez has had only 2 regular season games with greater WPA. Number 1 on that list is a game from a few weeks ago where he also entered as a pinch-hitter and ended up with 2 homers.
- Ibanez had another pinch-hit game-tying 9th-inning homer against the Red Sox less than 2 weeks ago.
- And courtesy of our friend Sean Forman at Sports-Reference, Alex Rodriguez is the greatest player to ever be removed for a pinch-hitter in a clutch post-season moment.