There are two players in this quiz with a lot of similarities in their careers. Your job is to figure out their identities based on these clues:
- We were both born in New York City.
- We both played over 200 games for teams in the same two cities.
- We both played over 200 games at each of the same two positions.
- We were both All-Stars playing a third position in a third city.
- We both have older brothers who played in the majors.
The similarities between them include:
- Torre was born in Brooklyn, Surhoff in the Bronx.
- Both played 200 games for teams in Milwaukee and Atlanta.
- Both played 200 games (actually, more than 300) at both catcher and 3rd base.
- Torre was an All-Star as a Cardinal first baseman, Surhoff as an Oriole left-fielder.
- Torre’s older brother Frank was a first baseman with the Braves and Phillies. Surhoff’s older brother Rich was a pitcher with the Phillies and Rangers.
Brandon Inge is the only other player with 300 games at catcher and 3rd base.
More germane is the similarity, and differences, in their career totals.
Different offensive eras (as reflected in their WAR scores) but those totals are within 5% of each other in G, PA, H, XBH, and RBI.