Tiger great Miguel Cabrera launched his 500th HR on Sunday, connecting off Blue Jay left-hander Steven Matz, the 346th pitcher to allow a Cabrera regular season blast. Miggy becomes just the 9th player in the 500 HR club to maintain a career .300 batting average. More after the jump.
That elite 500 HR /.300 BA club includes these players.
Of this group of nine, Cabrera becomes the sixth to also surpass 500 doubles, a milestone he reached in 2016. Cabrera is the first player to join this club after playing in both leagues, and is the only player in the group with 250+ games in each league.
It has been widely noted that no player has reached 500 HR and 3000 hits in the same season. While Cabrera still has an outside chance to be the first, it’s more likely that his 3000th hit will come early next season. Cabrera has, however, already reached a double milestone this season – two games after HR no. 500, Miggy scored the 1500th run of his career against the Cardinals. Cabrera joins Babe Ruth (1929), Eddie Mathews (1967), Rafael Palmeiro (2003) and Albert Pujols (2014) as the only players reaching those plateaus in the same campaign.
Cabrera is the 28th player to reach 500 home runs, and the the first of those 28 to be born in South America. His milestone blast is the first to happen outside the US, and is the first by a Tiger. Cabrera is the 6th player to swat no. 500 as a DH, and the 17th to do so with the bases empty (no player has hit number 500 with the bases full). Cabrera’s blast is the 13th of 28 to come in the last two months of the season.
Cabrera’s 500th came almost six years after David Ortiz became the 27th player to join the club. Three players reached 500 home runs in the 2007 season, and two did so in 1968 and 1971. The Giants and Red Sox share the distinction of having four players hit no. 500 while wearing their uniform, while the Orioles and Indians have yielded the most 500th homers with three apiece. Mike Schmidt‘s 500th home run with two aboard yielded the most WPA at 0.749, coming with two out in the 9th and the Phillies down a run. Frank Robinson‘s 500th also came with two out in the 9th, but with the Orioles down 7 runs it failed to nudge the WPA meter even to 0.001.
Now, it’s your turn to try your luck at 500th home run trivia.
- Who is the youngest player to reach 500 home runs? (Alex Rodriguez, 2007-08-04, aged 32 years, 8 days) And, the oldest? (Ted Williams, 1960-06-17, aged 41 years, 292 days)
- Which player’s 500th homer came off a future HOFer? (Eddie Mathews, 1967-07-14, off Juan Marichal)
- Which player had a pinch-hit 500th homer? (Gary Sheffield, 2009-04-17)
- Which player hit a walk-off 500th homer? (Jim Thome, 2007-09-16)
- Which two players hit their 500th homer in their final season? (Ted Williams, 1960-06-17 and Gary Sheffield 2009-04-17)
- Which two players connected for the second time in the game to reach no. 500? (Albert Pujols, 2014-04-22 and David Ortiz, 2015-09-12)
- Which player homered in both ends of a double-header to reach no. 500? (Frank Robinson, 1971-09-13)
- What is the longest gap between 500th home runs? (Mel Ott, 1945-08-01 to Ted Williams, 1960-06-17, 14 years, 321 days) And, the shortest? (Harmon Killebrew, 1971-08-10 to Frank Robinson, 1971-09-13, 34 days)
- Which player reached no. 500 exactly one year after his predecessor (and did so against the same opponent)? (Hank Aaron, 1968-07-14, one year after Eddie Mathews)
- Which two players reached no. 500 with their first home run of the season? (Sammy Sosa, 2003-04-04 and Gary Sheffield 2009-04-17) And, who did so with his last tater of the year? (Jimmie Foxx, 1940-09-24)
- Which player had the most home runs in the season he reached 500? (Barry Bonds, 73 in 2001) And, who had the fewest? (Gary Sheffield, 10 in 2009)
twothree players were selected as league MVP the year they hit no. 500? (Willie Mays 1965, Barry Bonds 2001, Alex Rodriguez 2007)
- Which player reached 500 homers after being traded earlier in the same season? (Eddie Murray, 1996-09-06) And, which two hit no. 500 before being traded later the same season? (Eddie Mathews, 1967-07-14 and Manny Ramirez, 2008-05-31)
- Which player hit his 500th home run in an inter-league game? (Albert Pujols, 2014-04-22)